Thursday, February 16, 2012

6 Months Already?

My how the time goes by!  Today is our 6 month "house closing" anniversary and I can hardly believe we've been living here that long.  I look around and remember what it looked like the day we closed--prior to all our stuff being piled in it was beautiful, sparkling new, and we couldn't have been happier or more excited.   Then after the nightmare of moving all our stuff into the house, I remember being so overwhelmed that I never thought we would ever finish unpacking.  In hindsight though, it is incredible the progress we have made in such a short period of time.  I have to admit, I still couldn't be happier and I love my house!  Amazing how in 6 little months so much can change.  I had all these visions of what I wanted the house to be decorated like and all the "old" things I was going to replace with new things.....yet so little of that has been accomplished.  The vision, however, still exists and we are slowly working towards making them a reality.

 Unfortunately, I can't get my camera to post pictures but hopefully I'll get some up soon (my awesome hubby gave me a new camera for Christmas but I have yet to figure out how to get the pictures off the card).  Some recent house updates include, new bookshelves, coffee table, end table, 2 chairs, and window treatments in the "little living room" (thats what we call the living room in the front of the house).  Also a new console table and rug for the front entry.  We finally got some counter stools and bar stools for the kitchen.  My husband installed a dimmer switch in the dining room.  He also installed a second light switch at the top of our basement stairs that turn off the lights in our basement.  For all you in the process of building a house now I would highly recommend adding that switch, otherwise you'll end up running down the stairs 50 million times to turn off the basement lights....its great exercise but a frustrating oversight on our part. We had planned on getting a new kitchen table, but with our kids in the "destructive" phase of life (I have 5 year old twin boys and a 3 year old little girl) we decided perhaps it would be better if we just tried to refinish the table we have....so my husband is in the process of doing that.  We'll see how it turns out.....worst case scenario we have to go buy a new table anyways.  And lastly, I'm in the process of getting new window treatments for the dining room...AGAIN!  I had bought a bunch already and finally settled on one style, but after a month or so of looking at them, I just don't love them so I think we are going to try something different.

To celebrate today, I decided to take a tour of some boxes we have still not unpacked, and to my surprise I found some more kitchen dishes, my hand mixer, and a ton of our wall pictures...so I've decided I need to make hanging pictures a  project that I hope to accomplish soon.  In our old house decorating came so natural to me.  There was just the perfect place for everything.  Now I'm finding it a bit difficult to find that perfect spot or the perfect thing to decorate the house.  I'm sure it will come with time but I've never been so frustrated with making a decision on where something should go or what would look good in a particular spot or how to arrange something.  We bought the book shelves in the little living room a couple months ago and I still don't have anything on them cause I can't make up my mind what to put on them or how to display the stuff.  I'm sure I'll be changing my mind 50 more times before I ultimately feel good in the decisions I've made....but I guess thats part of the fun decorating a new house.  I love looking at all your posts.  You've all given me some sort of inspiration at some point on  how to decorate or where I should put things or what looks nice....so thank you all for your help!!

Lastly, not only has our house had many changes but so has our neighborhood and our lives.  We  currently have at least 4 new house going up at the moment in direct view of my house.  Two of those houses are right next to us.  We've already met one of the neighbors as their daughter is sometimes in the same dance class as my daughter.  We have yet to see the other neighbor though and are eager to meet them.  My kids and I love watching the house building process and all the different styles and combinations that have been changing the landscape of our neighborhood.  My sons are just finishing up their first season of Hockey, which has been a lot of fun, and we just signed them up for their first season of little league which we all are really looking forward to.  The boys just celebrated their 100th day of kindergarden which was fun.  My daughter, on the other hand,  is working hard in "ballerina school" towards her dance recital in June.  Not too  much has changed for my husband and I other than I will be loosing my job at the end of March and plan to stay home with the kids at least until my daughter goes to Kindergarten.  Honestly, I view this as an opportunity I may otherwise not have taken advantage of and your kids are only young once so I'm excited to be a bigger part of their young lives for a little while.    Unfortunately, this also means some of those visions I mentioned previously, may need to wait a little longer, but then again it also gives me more time to really think about what it is I will actually want rather than being as indecisive as I have.

Well I hope all of you are doing well.  I keep saying I will blog soon a  again and then months go by.  Hopefully I'll be a little bit better about that going forward!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you back. Can't believe it's been 6 months already. Would love to see pictures! I remember really liking your paint colors, so I'd love to see how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete